Makers of Weymouth Souvenir China and their Marks
Most of the major English and Foreign manufacturers of souvenir china made items with either Weymouth views or crests. Brief details of some of these are given below. More detailed information can be found in the books listed on the References page.
Arcadian was the principal trade mark used by Arkinstall & Son of Stoke on Trent, subsequently a branch of J A Robinson & Sons, later Cauldon Ltd. The company was founded in 1903 by Harold Taylor Robinson and, through a succession of mergers & takeovers, went on to become the largest maker of crested china. However the fashion did not last into the 1930s and he went bankrupt in 1932.
From the bottom of a miniature thistle vase with Weymouth & Melcombe Regis crest (private collection)
From the bottom of a miniature vase with the Duke of Portland crest (private collection)
“Grafton China” was the principal trademark used by A B Jones & Sons of Longton, Staffs, on crested china. As they also produced domestic and ornamental lines, they survived the depression and are still in business today.
From the bottom of a plate with a Portland ‘crest’. (private collection)
Some crested china is also found with a retailer’s mark in addition to that of the manufacturer. In this case the mark of Weymouth retailer J W Broomfield appears above the A B Jones & Sons monogram.
From the bottom of small vase with Weymouth crest (private collection)
“ME” was a trademark of Max Emanuel & Co of Mitterteich, Bavaria. They also used the name “Maxim China”.
From a cup and saucer showing a view of Weymouth Esplanade (private collection)
Panorama was a trademark used by Wagstaff & Brunt on china made by Edwin Leadbetter of Longton. The range was intended to be only view ware although some pieces do have crests.
From the bottom of a miniature jug showing a view of Portland prison (private collection)
“Swan China” was a trademark used by Charles Ford, Cannon Street, Hanley. This subsequently became a branch of J A Robinson & Sons Ltd. (see Arcadian).
From the bottom of a miniature loving cup with a Portland crest. (private collection)
From the bottom of a miniature artists palette showing a view of Weymouth seafront (private collection)
From the bottom of a miniature fish with a crest of Weymouth (private collection)
From the bottom of a miniature top hat showing a view of Weymouth seafront (private collection)
“Foreign”. This mark was used on many, German made, heavy, white, hard paste models and smalls. There is usually an impressed number on the item.
From the underside of the lid of a bellows shaped trinket box with a Weymouth crest. The impressed number is 2001. (private collection)
“Made in Saxony”. Most probably made by Unger & Schilde, Roschutzer Porzellanfabrix. They made a large quantity of pink souvenir wares for the British market.
From the bottom of a model of Weymouth Clock Tower with a crest of Weymouth (private collection)
L Wallis of St Mary St, Weymouth was a local retailer of crested china. Click on the picture for more details of Weymouth retailers.
From a plate with the Weymouth crest (private collection)