In 1780, Thomas Turner introduced transfer printing at Caughley. This made the production of cheap, souvenir china possible although another one hundred years elapsed before this took off. Early view ware items are usually domestic pieces, printed with black & white pictures.
Several of the early view ware items in the collection have marks on the base which could be local retailers or makers. More information on these would be welcomed.
At the end of the nineteenth century the Germans became major producers of view ware for the British market. Much of the china they produced had a pink glaze. The material they used was hard paste porcelain.
This is probably the earliest item of souvenir china in the Museum collection. It shows a view of the esplanade. The reverse shows a view of “Portland with the Breakwater from the Nothe”. Marked on the base “Mr S M Harvey, Weymouth”.
Another early view of Weymouth esplanade, before the clock tower was built. The tower at the extreme right appears to be the spire of St. John’s Church. It is marked on the base “W R P Jeffery”.
William Richard Parsons Jeffery resided at 3 Bridge Buildings from 1870 to 1888 and was listed in Kelly’s as a china and glass dealer. He had resided previously at 98 St Mary St from c1864 to 1870.
“Esplanade Weymouth Dorset”.
The lady is wearing a crinoline suggesting that this dates from the mid-nineteenth century. Made by H & A, Longton.
Approximately 14 cm square, this ashtray portrays the Esplanade, Weymouth in a black, transfer print. The maker is unknown. Since the clock tower is shown it must be post 1897.