With the imminent move of Marks and Spencers to new premises, a look back to their original premises at 6,7 and 8 St Mary Street. They first opened in the 1930s. At the rear of the premises, properties in Chesterfield Place, the Esplanade were acquired and demolished. The second photo shows premises, one of which was formerly occupied by Eaton and Kusel Solicitors awaiting demolition.
Marks and Spencers premises were further extended in 1955 and again around 1980.