The original bus station was built in 1929. At lunchtime on 21 October 1940 a single enemy plane dropped one oil, and three high explosive bombs on the area This demolished the garage and eight houses, leaving a further nineteen in a state requiring their demolition. As this took place at lunchtime it was witnessed by many, one former pupil at Weymouth Grammar School stating that it was “far too close for comfort and her mother who lived at Southill was concerned that the school had been hit.”
The garage was rebuilt in 1955 and continues to this day.
The first photo gives an indication of the damage and the second, the new garage.