Back to all posts

THE NEW TOWN BRIDGE

At last the great day has arrived when the new Town Bridge is formally opened.

Demolition of the old bridge had started in 1928 and a temporary bridge for pedestrians was installed, which can be seen in the background.

The ceremony on 4 July 1930 was performed by the Duke of York ( later King George Vl). The bascules were lifted, enabling Cosens’s paddle steamer Empress, laden with schoolchildren to pass through.

In the background is North Quay, showing buildings which would be demolished 30 years later. In the meantime they perform a useful purpose

Weymouth Museum has been supported by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.

We have also benefitted from the active support of The Friends of Weymouth Museum.