This scene dates from 1964/5 and shows the busy Town Bridge Garage in operation. A fully working traditional garage, auto and electrical specialists, spares and accessories and petrol pumps with arms which stretched over the pavement! And Green Shield Stamps! Remember them?
Next door was a second hand car sales, to replace one which had moved earlier to Overcombe Corner.
A fairly new BMC 1100 car and a rather nice 1950s Wolseley add interest to the scene.
In the background, high above North Quay is the remaining wing of Holy Trinity School which was refurbished after Second World War damage and used as the Youth Employment Office. It was relocated in 1965 to the Youth Activities Centre in Knightsdale Road.
To the left of the picture is Phoenix House, a robust building which had recently been used as taxi office and fruit and vegetable shop.
This was demolished during August 1965 and the writer remembers that considerable effort had to be used to demolish it.
The demolition of this section of North Quay was delayed because the Council was unable to agree terms with the owner of the garage.